The QUAKER SETTLEMENT SITES MARKER PROJECT is fully funded! The Historical Society presented the project to the community the first of August. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for your prompt and generous response.
By the first of September the funds were in the bank and the order was placed with the Southwell Foundry in San Antonio for the seven Historical Markers to be installed in landscaped settings along Friendswood Drive.
Very few of Friendswood’s 37,000 residents are aware that Friendswood has the distinction of being the only extant town in Texas that was founded as a Quaker Settlement. There are few vestiges of that era ( 1895 – 1930) remaining. The Historical Society has undertaken this project so that our children and their children will be reminded of their Quaker founding heritage and the values instilled in their community.
These sites will be marked with researched data and authentic photos:
- First Home and First Family — Heritage at Pecan
- Fig Preserving Plant — 315 S. FM 518
- First Business — General Mdse — 400 blk S. FM 518
- First Post Office Building –S. FM 518 @ Spreading Oaks
- Quaker Academy– Church/School — 502 S. FM 518
- Oldest Structure Remaining — 109 W. Spreading Oaks
- Main Street Fig Orchards –900 blk S. FM 518